Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hit gaana hai! Shabash, bete! Raj Kapoor


“Raj Kapoor came as a pleasant surprise after Guru Dutt,” agreed Pancham. “Dharam Karam came to me through son Randhir Kapoor with whom I generationally vibed. Picture my mental state when told it would be Raj Kapoor okaying the film's theme-song!”

“Nervous as hell felt as I readied six tunes for Rajji to pick from - for that piano-song situation in Dharam Karam. After the Guru Dutt experience, I mightn't have accepted Dharam Karam at all, had I known it meant facing Raj Kapoor!”

No second takes

“But Rajji had outlined the situation so clearly to me that I was hopeful. Yet fearful. I now played the first of my six tunes, as Rajji sat hoveringly in front. I'd barely started playing my first Dhun when Rajji burst out: “Situation ke liye perfect tune hai! Chalo, okay-bottle kholo!

Not only that, Raj Kapoor proposed a toast to me for the way I'd composed what later became, via Majrooh Sultanpuri, 'Iik Din Bik Jaayega Maatee Ke Mol, Jag Mein Reh Jaayenge Pyaare Tere Bol'.

“Raj Kapoor added, by way of a highly fulfilling bonus: “Hit gaana hai! Shabash, bete!

No comments:

Post a Comment