Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Amit Kumar on Pancham, brief insight on Amit's relations with LoRD

in 2003 Amit Kr. gave an interview on Bollyvista, here's an excerpt...

Amit Kumar on Pancham
By Taru Talwar ©2003 Bollyvista.com

What are your views on R.D. Burman? How were your relations with him?

Pancham da was the most fascinating music director of our times, the most complete music director. The energy his work reflects needs no words. He was the creator of trends, introducing western elements in Hindi film music. True fusion started with him. He was a family friend as was his father SDB. We shared a great family feeling between us. This was in 1971-72 when Pancham da came to know that I also could sing- hua yun ki during durga puja I had prepared to sing five songs for the entertainment function, (a function promoted by Uttam Kumars family in his locality), this was without my mothers knowledge. Five songs gave way to ten songs and well I sang my father's film songs. Later my mother came to know about this and was furious. She immediately called my father in Bombay and told him - look at your son he is singing baaje baaje (terrible!!) film songs in the lanes of Calcutta. My father was thrilled.

It so happened that I had a concert - my first - at Rabindra Sadan a little later. And my overjoyed father flew down for it. I had reserved the first row seats for him but he said if people know I am there no one will listen to you. So in the end arrangements were made for him to go to the sound and light booth high up behind the theatre. When I was singing, I could see him up there dancing away in his own inimitable style. This is one of my most unforgettable memories of him. After this he took me to Bombay with him and this is when Pancham da took my audition. I mucked up as I was nervous and my father was very angry with me as we left in the car. But I think Pancham da knew I was nervous and recognized my talent and to our amazement called me for a recording the next day. This is the kind of love and affection he had for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment