Monday, March 24, 2008

Jose Flores mail - II

Here is part two, of two notes written to Vinay Jain of the Pancham group. The comments from Jose Flores, lyricist for Pantera, English album composed by Pancham-da


Hi Vinay.


Well I am glad you got the reply I wrote I did not know if it went through. Yes I know it is Punchams birthday in a few days. I always remember him on that day and on the other day.

Well I have to think about some of the things that were going on but one funny thing happened. It was when Puncham walked out of the recording studio and no one knew where he was for about 8 hours when decided to take a self guided tour of the City. I guess he was waking around downtown San Francisco. Of course we were recording in the downtown area of the City and the area is urban and sometimes quite risky especially if you dont know which sections are bad or
good. However, Puncham fit right in with the City scene and always looked cool so no one ever messed with him. In fact he was usually greeted by people as if they knew him everywhere we went. So later on several hours we were all in front of the studio and it was getting dark when he pulled up in a taxi cab loaded with bags of clothing, shoes, shirts and jackets inside shopping bags from some of the best stores and tailors in the City . The producer Pete Gavankar was so relieved when he saw him that he almost cried..Puncham just cracked up at us and showed off his new grey Members Only Jacket which he was wearing and said...dont worry Im a City
boy I know my way around... every one had to help him carry his bags back into the studio about 20 bags in all. It took the cabbie five min to unload...I think he gave the cabbie two $20.00 bills or like a $40.00 tip on top of his $ 5 fare and the cabbie was all smiles..

That was Puncham, drama, generosity, style... what a guy.

I think it is time for a toast to my friend with double Johnny Walker and 555 cigarette while I listen to him sing a Gypsy song...

Thanks and keep in touch.

JF

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    Janina Gavankar here, Pete Gavankar's daughter.
    I just wanted to reach out to you personally and let you know that Limited copies of Pantera are now available!
    http://panterabypancham.com/

    I'll probably add more info to the site soon. A where-are-they-now section, etc. :)

    I'm so happy to be able to share this amazing album with those who love Uncle Pancham.

    best,
    ~janina

    ReplyDelete